2014-10-02

Georgia's first impressions


We were requested to list highlights and the differences we have come across during our time here in Germany so far but I would like to start my entry off with a bit of a disappointment, the plane ride.
How people can enjoy flying  beats me. I was the only person in the group who hasn’t flown on an international flight and let’s just say it’s not something I’m going to jump back into. Turbulence and the constant feeling of being claustrophobic is not my idea of a good start but back to the main attraction of this writing piece, the touch down in Munich, Germany.

I received a lovely greeting by my host sister and her family with open arms. The morning in which we left the airport and drove back to Kolbermoor which is where I would be living for the next 4 weeks was intense. German words and gestures were being thrown around the car and I could only try and reply in the most enthusiastic manner as possible despite my extreme tiredness due to jetlag.


Kolbermoor is a beautiful town which has massive cotton sheds and large impressive churches. I had time to settle into my room then Michi dragged me out the door and gave me a tour around the town. After a sit down and an ice-cream break we were on the next train to Rosenheim. Rosenheim was exciting to see all the different shops and how many people rode their bikes and just left them in the streets and around the grass areas.

The Cheimsee is the biggest lake in Germany and I paddled my way around in a paddle boat. The view of the Alps and  of the surroundings was so breathtaking I forgot how out of shape I was and the fact my legs were burning. I could have stayed out there all day in the beautiful sunshine.


I got to experience a Christening and I was warmed by the amount of hugs and handshakes I received from all of Michi’s family. I learnt some really traditional and polite sayings in which they will always use at events like a Christening.

I have a very different diet here (hardly a diet) of very large portions of food. They never just have a light meal it is always a huge plate full of delicious meat or fresh vegetables. The lunches here are really exciting because of the effort put in to make it big and very lecker (which means yum). I have also noticed few people drink water from the tap. It’s either brought or soda water. They really love their soda water or any kind of fizzy drink. Can’t say I’m complaining.

Getting up at 6 am for school is a struggle but Michi loves to help by banging on my door until I get up. School seems to go for such a short time it’s quite nice if I may be honest. The lessons are shorter but by not much and they only have one break. Also the teachers have their own rooms and the students must move to the teacher’s classrooms, which means a lot of walking around and mostly getting lost in all the corridors.

One of my favourite past times I have been doing with Michi every evening is bike riding around Kolbermoor and not having to worry about dodging cars, they move respectfully around  the bikes, The narrow streets  are very quaint..

 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen